Tuesday, June 24, 2008

One week and counting

Just one more week to go until we're on our way to Montana! I have so much to do, and I didn't get much done today. I did manage to get the main level swept and mopped. It really needed the mopping. Someone spilled some juice or other sticky liquid in a trail leading to the stairs. Of course, nobody did it. Those kind of things just appear out of nowhere.

One of the things on my to-do list that got checked off today was the item that said "don't leave without looking for potatoes in the pantry". If you've never had a bag of potatoes go bad in your home, then you are missing out! Let me share with you my personal experience I suffered serveral months ago....For a day or two, I kept thinking that something in the laundry room was really dirty. Well, I washed all the rags and towels in the basket and the smell didn't go away. In fact, it was getting stronger. I wandered through the house sniffing things trying to locate the odor. I stood in the door to the laundry room which is right next to my pantry and realized that the smell was the strongest there. So I got down on my hands and knees and began smelling the shelves and I found it! The bag was actually WET and the smell was bad enough to gag me. It was the stuff of nightmares inside that bag. It was not fun cleaning the mess and even now I have the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. So today, I found the almost empty bag of potatoes hiding behind a few cans and tossed it out. Not a day too soon, either, since they were getting icky but had not begun the horrible stench, yet. It would have been terrible coming home to a house stinking of rotting potatoes!

No comments: